Thursday, March 7, 2013

Growth spurts are insurance you only have one child!

Last night Alexander went to bed at 630.. his usual bed time is 8pm. Then at 10 pm he decided he wanted to wake up and not go back to sleep til midnight!!! Then he was awake at his usual 5 am time for a feeding. I really thought he'd sleep til 8 am nope 6:50 I hear some jingles and babbling from his bedroom. He has an owl jingler that you put on strollers and car seats hanging off his crib he rings it when he wants out of the crib. Needless to say I was exhausted. I put him down for his first nap around quarter to 9 and he slept til 10:30. I should have napped as well however I decided to get showered, empty the dishwasher, wash the dishes we don't put in  the dishwasher and do a load of laundry. After he got up he was not a happy camper. Not sure what was going on but I fed him and let him play around a bit. He drank 1/2 an oz of water from his sippy with a straw. Its a sippy I can push on to help get water up so I was helping him but at least he got half an oz in and he drank a bit of formula maybe 10 mouthful. It's a start, I just have to keep reminding myself of that rather then getting frustrated that he won't actually drink from them just swallows the liquid that drips in his mouth.

We then put on this cute jacket:

 

And went for an hour long car drive. Just drove around town to try to get him to calm down and sleep which worked great! That jacket is a size 3 months.. he is 7.5 months.. I wonder if he'll ever outgrow it. I was told its not necessary for me to take him to his 9 month check up but I think I will anyways just so I can get a weight on him and make sure he's staying on his growth curve. I worry sometimes that he's to tiny. Especially when babies younger then him really surpass him.

I was going to go for a walk today but honestly I was just to exhausted. The thought of dragging the stroller out and navigating over the semi snow covered sidewalks tired me greatly so I did not get any exercise in, other then chasing the boy around the house. Which was a bit disappointing maybe I'll get out tomorrow. I find on cloudy days in the winter/spring my motivation to go out and walk is zippo. I would much rather laze about. We need the sun to come out. It's suppose to this weekend hopefully it will if it does we'll be headed to the nature park for a stroll with Alexander. I'm rather excited for this summer as he'll be starting to walk and I'll be able to take him to the park behind my house and play in the playground with him!

The title of this post is a joke, of course, if that were the case there would be a heck of a lot less people in the world! However I do want to discuss how many children Jon and I plan on having. It was a big decision because we both grew up with siblings to decide on only having Alexander. We would both like for him to have a sibling however there is many many factors that weighed on our ultimate decision. The first being my disorder. Yes I successfully carried Alexander, and delivered him without issue however I notice when I'm really sleep deprived I do have symptoms pop up that are not fun. General weakness. I can imagine how much harder it would be to be pregnant with a toddler running around the house. I was EXHAUSTED my entire pregnancy more then I ever thought possible. I do not want to run the risk of a flare up from my disorder while I'm holding a child and risk dropping them because I don't have the physical strength. I also do not want Jon to have to take a leave from work to look after 2 children and a wife who can not walk.

Our second reason for deciding to only have one child is financial. We want to be responsible parents and to always be able to provide for our family. We do not want to struggle though and not be able to give our child what they want. We do not want to be wondering where we're going to get the money for Christmas or birthdays or anything like that. Children are expensive. We make good money however we also want to do a lot with Alexander and have him experience the world. Jon had a great child hood filled with fantastic memories of family vacations. We want the same for our little man. lets face it life is expensive. I think it would be really irresponsible of us to bring another child into the world that we would struggle to provide for.  My friend Kim's little fella is 2 months older then Alexander so we decided they can just be brothers since she isn't having another kid either.

Those are the two major reasons why we're only having one child. However IF something happens before Jon gets snipped we will count them as a blessing and provide for them the best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment